Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Jesus is Crucified

This week I will be teaching about the crucifixion of Christ. I struggle a little bit in trying to figure out how to explain the magnitude of this sacrifice to first and second graders. We will be reading from Luke 22 and 23. We will discuss that the crucifixion is found in all four gospels, and review which books are the "gospel books". I will use pictures to help "paint a picture" of the events for the kids. I will also have the kids stand up and hold their arms out horizontally for as long as they can to have them feel how tired their arms get. I will use this demonstration to help relate the story to the kids. We will also discuss emotions that may have been felt by Jesus, Mary, and God while Christ was on the cross and will review different aspects of the story. (who carried Jesus' cross part of the way, miracles that occurred as Jesus died, etc)
Application questions:
    -If Jesus asked God to forgive those who killed him, how should I treat those who hurt me?
    -Since Jesus died for our sins, how serious is sin?
    -Is there anything I can suffer that Jesus won't understand?

At the end of class we will complete a "Missing Words ABC's" worksheet with a review question about the story for each letter of the alphabet.

example:

L_ _ _ They cast_____________ (vs. 24)



Memory Verse:
    Luke 23:34: "And Jesus said, Father, forgive them for they know not what they do..."

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Images by Freepik