Thursday, February 24, 2011

Blessed Beyond Measure

Well, I have missed my weekly Bible Class blog, and haven't made but one meal that was prepared for this week. I have been sick with a terrible sinus infection since early Wednesday morning. Thankfully, my mom took over my Bible class and taught the kids about the resurrection of Christ. Although I have spent nearly every minute of the past 2 days either in bed or on the couch asleep, I have been "awake" enough to realize how blessed I really am to have such a wonderful husband. He was really looking forward to the meals I had planned to prepare this week with some of his favorite ingredients: pepperoni, mozarella cheese, crescent rolls, and others. Rather than being upset that I was not feeling up to cooking, he has taken charge and served me with several "meals" and snacks on the couch and in bed :) I have had Ramen noodles, grilled cheese, grilled ham and cheese, cookies, and bowls of strawberries all prepared by my sweet husband in between classes, studying, work, and Wednesday night Bible class. One thing that really made my day was him going to pick up my medicine from the pharmacy. Although it seems like a simple task, it was very much appreciated. As I am writing this, I am realizing how little I have done in the past two days due to a sinus infection. Don't get me wrong, I have definitely felt terrible, but when I look at others around me, my little sinus infection pales in comparison to others problems. Just got off the phone with my mom and found out that my Aunt Gladys and Uncle George (who are both in their late 80s) are visiting my Nanaw and Pawpaw today. Gladys and George drove about 1-1.5 hours to visit them for the afternoon. Not only did they come to visit, but they brought home cooked food. If you know anything about my Aunt Gladys, you know that she loves to cook, cooks a LOT and cooks good! I am sure the meals she has prepared will last several days so that Nanaw does not have to struggle to cook. (she has just completed two weeks of radiation treatment and is extremely weak) They have spent several summers at church camps with Gladys cooking for 100s of kids and have even spent weeks at "Old Timers church camp" cooking there as well. If Gladys is cooking and traveling so much, one would think she is in good health...WRONG. She just shared today that she fell again a few days ago and now has a blue and swollen leg. The dr. told her that the leg was not swollen and blue as a result from the fall but as a result from kidneys that are not working. Her husband's heart is failing and the two of them can barely walk. Yet, these two people are smiling, serving others, and praising God. I hope Gladys and George are aware of the impact they have had on my life and what good Christian examples they are. There are so many lessons we can learn from the elderly, especially elderly Christians. Even when they are feeling pretty low themselves, they are still serving others above self. Definitely something I needed to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Images by Freepik